Tuesday 22 September 2015

Lions & Soccer Balls


The morning started with the traditional drawing of the lions who guard the entrance to the Arsenale. The sun just the right tempature to warm the muscles of my drawing arm and the warm genial breeze providing the courage to tackle those subtle tonings on the stone white beasts.

During a brief pause to reflect on my drawing, I couldn't help noticing that the lions seemed sad, a pathetic look of longing. Then someone mentioned that the loins had been stolen.

Two of the lions standing beside the entrance gates were taken from Greece and added in 1687 (thank you Wikipedia).

My thoughts drifted to home and the people there. I would be sad if I was set in stone with no way to return.

The afternoon was a serene session of drawing in San Pietro Di Castello. The church has stood on the site since at least the 7th century. Lots to be inspired by, but I focused my energy drawing the elaborate altarpiece by Luca Gordono. So much overwhelming detail to draw!

But what caught my eye was the soccer ball lodged in the muted facade. I wondered if this was the work of an energetic child who aimed too high for that winning goal, or of a local football fanatic priest who secretly climbed the facade in the middle of the night and carefully wedged his favourite soccer ball (perhaps signed by his faviourite soccer player?) up high, closer to God to seek divine intervention for the next premiership. I hope it was the latter.



1 comment: